Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Uncle Tom's Cabin
In the last few readings, I have learned that throughout most traditional children's novels there are certain themes they strive to teach. One that has stuck out in my mind the most is the teaching of morality. However, in Stowe's novel, this is not the case. In fact, it is quite the opposite. In my opinion, sometimes it is hard to get a point across to children. I feel like Stowe is completely showing them evil through the horrible act of slavery. She doesn't want to go through a set of lessons in teaching them right from wrong. She goes directly to the point in proving what is not okay in real life. In doing so, there is no doubt that the message of immorality is understood. However, I do see the theme of a strong bond between a mother and child in the novel. Stowe uses this bond though to really emphasize the fear and danger in the relationship of slavery and family. This fear is shown when Eliza thinks, "If it were you Harry, mother, or Willie that were going to be torn from you by a brutal trader, tomorrow morning...how fast could you walk?" (105) The idea of teaching morality is in a way twisted from the traditional way of doing so in children's novels; Stowe's theory is making sure everyone gets her message of what is right and wrong in the world
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great post Meredith! I really liked that you pointed out how in most the readings we have done, the author sort of dances around what it is they are trying to tell us, but Stowe is in your face with the message she is trying to convey. I didn't even consider this point of view. Great work!
ReplyDelete